Monday, May 29, 2006

Escape from Dili, Part VI (Crisis Management?)

(…Continuation)

The next morning, April 28, 2006, I had the same observation when I had my early walking exercise. There were no “malays” in the jogging area and there were sporadic groups of local people outside their homes on serious conversation with each other. In my office after series of meetings and teleconferences that I had, I called up the AFET (Association of Filipinos in East Timor) President and ask him about the emergency or evacuation plan for the Filipinos in case of a worst scenario. There I discovered that the Philippine Embassy has no concrete plan at the moment. Dick Pajarillo, the AFET President verbalized of the simple plan the association had in case of a worst scenario: first, there will be a phone brigade to be undertaken so all mobile phones should be kept open at all times, second, the final refuge will the Philippine embassy where evacuation will be undertaken. It was 12:45 PM when we had that conversation.

After that conversation with the President, I tried calling Zeni Gusmao, a local friend and the Executive Director of the Hadomi Timor Oan, a locally run orphanage. I asked her about the situation and on the safety of the “malays” given the tension. She jokingly answered that its not yet time to run and will just signal me in case scenario will worsen.

Around 2:00 PM, my staff were tensed after hearing a successive gun firing near the “Palacio do Governo” (Government Palace) and that was the signal of the riot. Immediately all communication facilities broke down and there was no means that we can contact each other. The AFET plan of executing cell phone brigades collapse. Around 2:30 PM, Richard (Arlyn’s husband) arrived to pick up Arlyn. There I decided to dismiss my staff so they could also join their families. I invited Richard & Arlyn a ride and brought them to their house. Everybody was panicked. On our way to Richard’s house, we saw the ambulances went through and fro. They invited me to stay but I insisted to go home directly to Carla Mansion. I brought with me the hand-held radio to monitor the situation. On my way home, I accidentally saw in opposite direction the protesters, around 1,000 people and most of them were in fatigue uniforms. With them were bows, arrows, bolos machetes, guns and grenades. I tried finding another ways to reach home so I can avoid them.

At home, lodgers were also panicked, but from time to time we still managed to joke and laugh. As an obligation, I texted Nestor who was in a conference in Manila about the situation. I copied Beng with the message to made her also aware on what was happening with me. “Be reminded dat JESUS R LORD HD COVERD U WD Hs most precious blood. Take care n we love u. Called up Nes but hs cp s un a10ded. Forward ur msage 2 hm” It was Beng’s reply (to be continued…)

No comments: