Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Escape from Dili, Part I (Crisis Management?)

As I opened my blogspot, I saw that the last entry I had was 2 months ago. Well, I really want to keep it updated but sometimes I am having a hard time to do it due to work related schedules and sometimes... problems. Well, it is just but normal as part of the development work. In this issue let me give you a blow and blow account on the author's experience as he went into a crisis situation when the social unrest in Dili, Timor Leste erupted.

The chaotic situation started when a division from among the ranks of F-FDTL members in Timor Leste held their protest on February 8, 2006 which was followed by their eventual dismissal from the military service. This caused the initial strife in the country as the ensuing violence in the Dili, the capital of the country has been blamed on this dispute that refused to die. Slowly by slowly, this dispute caused to renew the trauma of the general public.

The sacking of the troop from military service done by Brig. General Taur Matan Ruak (Chief of Staff) failed to get the President's approval as President Xanana Gusmao publicly criticized the Ruak's decision. However, he had stood into Ruak's right to decide. As a backround, during the 1990's struggle of the country for independence, Ruak led the Timor's Falintil Guerrilla Army while Presidebnt Xanana was in prison... (to be continued)

No comments: