Thursday, May 11, 2006

Escape from Dili, Part IV (Crisis Management?)

(…Continuation)

While viewing movie show in my television set and eating canned goods for my dinner, I sent an sms message to the Philippines for my wife Beng, informing her about the very tense situation in Timor Leste. “D2 ako sampaguita (Miracle Life Christian Church), just come from DBC (Dadiangas Baptist Church) n God gave us the asurans dat HE’s in control of the c2ation der. Fear not! dats God’s word 4 us. Take care, we ms n luv u.” It was the reply that I received from Beng and I was comforted the more believing that God has the situation in His hands. Just after cleaning the plates I used for my dinner, I received an sms message from Pastor Nelson Fernandez informing me that he is in Carla Mansion and he would like to pray with me. Pastor Nelson wore a black suit and in his black motorbike. He told me that he was with Bro Richard and Sis Arlyn praying before he proceeded to Carla Mansion. I took a helmet with me and we drove to Sands Motel to see Bro Joey (A Filipino working in Asian Development Bank for Capacity Building and Governance Project for the Timorese Government officials) and prayed together. At that time we intensely prayed for the country and its situation. We had a short fellowship together and there we learned that Bro Joey was set to fly back to the Philippines by Saturday – the reason was he cannot organized a training program since potential participants would not like to leave their areas due to the impending threat.

“I hop u nform Charli of d c2uation der so he can giv nstruction 4 precautionary measures”. It was 8:07 PM and I was already backed at Carla Mansion when I received this follow up message from Beng, asking if I had informed my supervisors about the situation. “1 sympthizr of d petitioner ws shot dead in Taibise ds pm. People r tense nd dili ct luks lyk a ghost town aftr d ncident.” This message I sent to Dr. Nestor Pestelos & Charlie Ayco, my supervisors who were attending a conference in Manila during that week. At exactly 9:30 PM, I received too very surprising sms responses from Nestor saying, “Charlie says you should be prepared to get out. Buy ur tkts n transfer responsibilities to locals. He is authorizing u to get out anytime. Tk ker” “ Provide 4 security of funds, assets, records. Follow SOP. Then leave. Rgrds.” With the instruction, I was so bothered, but focus to reply Nestor for me to convene first hour in the morning our ManCom to set up our security and contingency plans in case the situation will become worst as expected. “K, noted. U can put rcords in cds.” Nestor replied. With that response, I proceeded to pray and sleep soundly. (to be continued…)

No comments: