Saturday, May 13, 2006

Escape from Dili, Part V (Crisis Management?)

(…Continuation)

Early morning of April 27, I still managed to have my daily walking exercise along Roxas Boulevard (This is how Filipinos called Pantai Kalapa, a place in front of the sea where most of the embassies are). I found it strange during that time since I failed to see other “Malays” (this is how Timorese called foreigners) jogging except me. Before preparing for office I sent the members of the ManCom sms telling them on the special meeting we have to conduct first hour in the morning.

The meeting was well done. We formulated the security plan with regards to safekeeping of properties, records and funds. I assured my team that what was going on in the country is just part of the democratic process where everyone has the right to express their feelings and on what they thought were right. Because also of the order from Nestor I told my staff that I have to leave Dili on the 6th of May for a meeting and consultation with my supervisor relative to our HFHTL operation and funding support. I did not reveal to the ManCom the fear of the Asia Pacific Office about the situation of the country and on their order for me to immediately leave the country. This is to keep them calm and not to feel demoralize. Even with the assumption that the situation will be normalized soon, we still formulated the worst-case scenario plan for the staff and the assets of the office. It was understood that Alvaro have to prepare back up records in CDs and on the email address of the National Director all the financial records and administrative assets although similar copies of such were already sent to Bangkok Asia Pacific Office. We installed a transition committee and a skeletal force to man the office given a worst scenario. Of course with the worries of the local staff, we also formulated evacuation plan for them and families. Tito was assigned to prepare the staff and orient them during the regular meeting the following day. As if there’s no emergency, I set up meetings for May 1, 2,3&4 with our Japan & Singapore networks.

“FYI, we rcvd info ds late pm dat protesters gave govt til 12hrs start 6pm knina (tym of mtg) 2 rsolv prob f solution not aceptable protstrs wil cause prob n dili. Ingat! Avoid tc3, cmoro mkt, audian, bdau, caicli. Acdng 2 informant, ppol firful 2day dan b4. Hqtr n tc3. Kip hp open & b prayng real hard. Pls pass!” It was exactly 9:47 pm when I received this sms message from Ibu Wennie and I was really thinking if I will pass the message to others or not sinced I know it will just cause disturbance and panic to the people. Finally, I prayed and decided not to send the message to others. Again, what a sound sleep I had on that night. Praise be to God! (to be continued…)

No comments: